Thursday, January 29, 2009

And the Winner is...


I've said it before and I will say it again. As an aspiring author it is important to learn how to wait. For six weeks I have been hunting and waiting on an agent's response. I am waiting on Penquin editor, Stacey Barney, to share her thoughts about WALKING THE DOG. Recently, I applied for a Tennessee Arts Commission Grant so I am also waiting to hear if the state will award me one of the $5000 prizes. They have ten to give away. Hey! Who couldn't use $5000 in this tight economy? In advance I am making plans as to how I will spend the money. Right off the bat I think I will contribute $500 to Caritas Village. They help the neighbors and children living in Memphis' Binghampton area. Onie Johns is the coordinator there. She has organized art, dance and wellness workshops for the community. Caritas also houses a cafe that serves gourmet sandwiches and homemade soups. Yum! If a hungry soul stumbles into the cafe without money they are allowed to eat. Many non-profit organizations use Caritas as a meeting place. The walls are covered with art by Frank D. Robinson, Jr. and Darlene Newman. There are an abundance of books in the cafe for your leisure reading. There are an assortment of board games too. Know what? In a season of peril and darkness, Caritas is a light. So as I move through this day I pray to win that art sweepstakes! Read more about Caritas Village at the link below. http://www.memphismagazine.com/gyrobase/Magazine/Content?oid=oid%3A34061

No comments: