Friday, January 2, 2009

Art Work is a Steal (FOR NOW)




Darlene Newman is a young Memphis illustrator who has developed and refined her artistic style over the years. She gets better and better with time. And right now, her work remains affordable. But if you wait another year or so, your 9 to 5 won't allow you to purchase her larger pieces. As a children's author I am especially taken with her illustrations that make some comment about education. I have always believed that she would make a great illustrator for children's books. Her work is innocent and playful but also contemplative. You can view some of Darlene's work at http://www.thepinkroomstudio.com/. She's never expressed an interest in illustrating book covers and books for children but I'm sure in time she will be discovered by some editor in the industry. What city do you live in and who are some of your favorite local artists? Here in Memphis I am a Darlene Newman fan. I own pieces by Frank D. Robinson, Morris Howard, Carl Moore and Wiley Henry. I am also a big George Hunt fan too. But I can hardly afford to look at his work. George Hunt is WAY out of my reach when it comes to affordability. But one day, my "change" is gonna come and I WILL buy me a George Hunt too!

2 comments:

the_shulammite said...

Thanks for introducing me to Darlene Newman. Her work is outstanding.

m2 said...

hi...I love twin! By local twins jerry and terry Lynn---at Lusk til the end of the month...pricey but excellent! I do not own--I view! LOL