Thursday, December 4, 2008

Read This First!

Who am I? My name is A.E. Anderson. I am a children's author who is about to break into print just as soon as I find an agent and publisher. When I was a college student I always dreamed of becoming a writer. Like Eudora Welty I was born in the South. I've got Southern Roots.
Sometimes they are nappy but always Southern. Before my grandparents moved to Memphis they lived along Highway 64 in Eads, TN. The Anderson Family owned farmland in Eads. As a child I loved to ride from South Memphis to the country. Couldn't wait to eat my Aunt B's BBQ goat meat sandwiches. But God deliver me from Aunt Erma's house! Her bathroom was a woodshed in a field and this was the early 80's. You did not ask for my pedigree. I'm just trying to say that having roots in the rural South qualifies me to be a Southern Writer. However, I never thought it was possible until four months ago. I started writing a children's novel called WALKING THE DOG. It is about this fat black kid named Fitzhugh Edmund Davis, Jr. He's a kid for the New Millennium. He's urban, smart and full of self-doubt. I couldn't shake this story. I had to tell it. I finished WALKING THE DOG this November. Now I am in pursuit of an agent and an editor. This blog will track my journey in finding both. It will track the path I take from "Ms. Nobody" to "Published Author". I will tell you about the submission process. The rejection. The editing process. I will tell you about people's reaction and criticism to my story. At the same time I want to hear about your writing and submission process. Let's encourage one another as we master the art of manipulating words and breaking into print. Keep one thing in mind as we share this journey. Good writing rises to the top!

1 comment:

jaydarl said...

Great story. I wish you all the success in the world. I'm a writer as well to so I know how the process goes. I'm sure I'll be seeing your name in lights one day.